"Right now, this is a one-time shot".
Defense Secretary James Mattis says the USA has no reports of suffering any losses during the initial airstrikes on Syria Friday, ABC reports.
Trump says that closing Saturday, Syrian President Bashar Assad deployed chemical weapons in what was a "necessary escalation in a pattern of chemical weapons use by that very awful regime".
Mattis put the onus for verification on an Organization on a Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) fact-finding team assigned to investigate, saying Washington is trying to get them to the site outside of Damascus within the week.
With respect to retaliation, Gen. Dunford said he was unaware of any USA troop losses, and could neither confirm or deny Syrian reports of missiles being shot down.
Mattis says the United States, along with France and the United Kingdom, struck because Syrian President Bashar Assad "did not get the message" when the USA launched airstrikes after a chemical attack in 2017.
The White House said on Thursday (Friday NZT), that Trump would consult further with allies.
The second target was a chemical weapons storage facility west of Homs that USA and allied officials assessed was the "primary location" of sarin production. "The third target, which was in the vicinity of the second target, contained both a chemical weapon equipment storage facility and an important command post".
Bitcoin SURGE: Cryptocurrency hits $8000 as value soars by 17%
Profile Utility Token (PUT) traded 10.5% higher against the dollar and now trades at $0.16 or 0.00002408 BTC. Binance Coin (BNB) traded 2.4% higher against the dollar and now trades at $12.15 or 0.00175031 BTC.
The US and Russian Federation maintain a "deconfliction line" between the US al-Udeid air base in Qatar and Russia's Hmeymim military base in Syria to prevent conflicts.
But in anticipation of any pushback from Syria or Russia, Dunford said the USA commander in Syria has changed the force protection levels for the 2,000 US troops there fighting the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in case of retaliation.
Mattis said military planners made efforts to avoid civilian casualties. "This year, the US and our allies have struck harder", Secretary of Defense James Mattis revealed at a Pentagon press briefing Friday night.
U.S. aircraft and ships were used in the attack, according to multiple USA defense officials. Those were active this week to work through the air space issues and so forth.
Jarrod Agen, Vice President Mike Pence's deputy chief of staff, said Pence called congressional leaders from his hotel suite in Lima, Peru, to notify them of the president's plan to address the nation about the Syrian air strikes.
Mattis said that any further strikes would "depend on Mr. Assad, should he decide to use more chemical weapons in the future".
United Nations ambassador Vassily Nebenzia from Moscow said on Thursday that the "immediate priority is to avert the danger of war". "But on a strategic level, it's (about) how do we keep this from escalating out of control", Mattis said.
Mattis said the US was convinced that Syria used chlorine gas on its citizens, possibly even sarin gas, which has been used in the past.
Syrian television reported that Syria's air defenses, which are substantial, have responded to the attack. "America does not seek an indefinite presence in Syria under no circumstances", he said.
President Donald Trump is able to take care of the nation Friday evening time amid anticipation of a retaliatory strike for an apparent Syrian chemical weapon assault closing week. We were not out to expand this, we were very precise and proportionate. A delay in strikes after Trump publicly previewed them earlier this week could allow Syrian, Russian and Iranian forces to better prepare for them, multiple USA officials said.