Airstrikes on a market in northern Yemen on Thursday killed dozens of people, including at least 29 children in a school bus, drawing global condemnation and putting a spotlight on a US -backed Saudi military coalition accused of carrying out the attack.
The Saudi-led coalition, in a defiant statement, has described the massacre as a "legitimate action" to target missile launchers used by Houthi Ansarullah fighters to target the southern Saudi city of Jizan.
The ICRC said its medical team at the hospital had received the bodies of 29 children, all under 15 years of age.
"Scores killed, even more injured, most under the age of 10", Johannes Bruwer, head of delegation for the International Committee for the Red Cross (ICRC) in Yemen, said in a twitter post. He said this made the attack a "legitimate military action in accordance with global humanitarian law".
Yemen's Houthi-run Al Masirah TV said that some 50 civilians had been killed and over 70 wounded in an airstrike that hit a bus, a lot of them were reported to be young children.
Unicef, the United Nations children's agency, said on Twitter that there were "no more excuses...."
Saudi Arabia backs Yemen's internationally recognized government and has been at war with the Houthis since March 2015.
"The attack carried out today by the coalition in Saada was against those people responsible for the ballistic missile attack last night ... the allegation [that civilians were targeted] is coming by the Houthis, and it's still an allegation", Col Al Maliki said. As Al Jazeera reported, a third of the 258 attacks carried out by Saudi and UAE forces in June targeted non-military sites. Most of the images of the children hit by this airstrike are so gruesome the broadcasting rules don't allow us to show them - but a warning, the report still contains distressing images.
It accused the Houthis of using children as human shields.
Twitter is not banning Alex Jones; Jack Dorsey explains why
Several ultra-conservative websites showed support for Jones, publicly backing his claim that he was a victim of a plot by Big Tech companies.
The Saudi government issued a statement on August 9 and described the strike as "a legitimate military action" and was "conducted in conformity with the global humanitarian law".
The United States called on the Saudi-led coalition to launch an investigation into the events that unfolded in Yemen on Thursday.
Worldwide rights groups repeated calls for an end to the war and strongly condemned the bus attack and other civilian massacres.
"We call on the Saudi-led coalition to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation into the incident", Nauert said.
One person was killed in that attack, Saudi state media reported.
So far, almost 10,000 people have died in the war in Yemen, which has unleashed what the United Nations describes as the world's worst humanitarian crisis.
The Houthis have launched a series of missile strikes on the kingdom, including Riyadh, over the past year.
The coalition denied responsibility for those attacks.