A student was taken into custody Monday morning after he opened fire at a North Carolina high school, striking one of his classmates, police said. Investigators have said that it's likely the shooting and the fight that preceded it were captured on the school's surveillance video cameras. Freshman Jatwan Cuffie surrendered to a school resource officer after admitting to a teacher he shot sophomore Bobby McKeithen.
According to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, one student was shot on campus Monday morning.
Police said the shooting was potentially a case of bullying that escalated. The single shooter has been apprehended and the weapon is in the possession of law enforcement.
The campus about 12 miles southeast of Charlotte is on lockdown, and parents are being notified about what happened. The mother of a student, Christina Sawyer, told WBTV, "She said there was just an argument and that the argument turned into him brandishing a gun". "And what makes it doubly worse is it was one of our students who was the shooter". When they arrived to find their children absent, dozens of parents took matters into their own hands, marching over a highway overpass and crossing police barricades to assemble at the doors of the school. They ran to the hallway and started giving the victim first aid within 15 to 20 seconds, Tyrrell said.
Angela Merkel on the spot after painful regional vote
CDU leaders will meet next Sunday to prepare for a summit in December where party members will vote for a new chairman. The debacle followed a battering in a state election in Bavaria two weeks ago for the CSU and the Social Democrats .
"The student who was shot is in surgery at this time".
The disagreement occurred in a hallway and there were many "young people who witnessed this tragedy", Wilcox said. She said, "I left because of the bullying and the fights". The school had been placed in lockdown, but that was later lifted as students streamed out, many crying and hugging parents.
In a statement released to the station, North Carolina State Superintendent Mark Johnson said "I am heartbroken to hear that we have lost a student to school violence in one of our schools". Students were allowed to go to their normally scheduled second class, he said.